Best Anne of Green Gables covers (& adaptations!)

If you enjoyed my Best Little Women covers (& adaptations) post, this is for you! As with any classic that has lost its copyright, there are probably thousands of editions of Anne of Green Gables, most of them lacking in taste. However, there are plenty of beautiful covers out there, so I chose my favorites to showcase! At the end of this post, you'll also find four great adaptations of the classic novel. 

Anne of Green Gables is definitely my favorite classic. Anne is such a fun, unique protagonist, and I think I'm not alone in loving her like a close friend. Not only that, but the exquisite detail throughout the book and hilarious mishaps create a well-rounded, relaxing novel that still holds up in 2023. 

Enjoy!

 

Puffin Classics 

 

With a pretty calligraphy title, this edition is cute and fun, highlighting the novel's cheerful tone.  

 

Mass Market Paperback

 

This might be the most common cover, and one of the older ones. The illustration is certainly in an old-fashioned style, with some lovely depth and details. As a whole, I find it very cheerful and cute. 

 

Children's Signature Classics

 

This is one of the few editions that doesn't actually have Anne on the cover, but I think it works anyway. Green Gables looks very serene in the background, and the symmetry and pretty details complete this lovely design. I also adore the fonts chosen for the title. 

 

Unknown origin, hardcover, ISBN 1435142101

17245652 

Definitely playing into the green theme, this fancy classic-looking cover shows Anne's silhouette in the foreground, with Green Gables in the background. Overall I think it's very satisfying to look at.


Vintage Classics

This is probably my favorite on this list. The scenery is beautiful, which I think is important given how much Anne adores the beautiful natural landscape around Avonlea. I also love the font, which has a kind of botanical feeling to it, and the soft greens and yellows.


Wordsworth Collector's Edition

 

Fairly simple, but with some beautiful gold lettering and cute trees and flowers.  

 

Paper Mill Press Classics

https://bookoutlet.com/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.bookoutlet.com%2Fcovers%2FLarge%2Fisbn978177%2F9781774021880-l-fa6206b6fe7c.jpg&w=640&q=75 

I do love the occasional old-fashioned, classic-looking cover, and this one fits the bill perfectly. The font, paired with the leaves, looks very nice, and the intricate designs on the corners create some depth.

 

Virago Modern Classics

Cover illustrator: Daniela Jaglenka Terrazzini

 

Okay, maybe this one is my favorite. This cover appears to be done in watercolor or gouache or something similar, which I love. The flowers give a nice splash of color against the green of the background, and Anne is centered nicely as she admires the nature around her. I love the colors and the art style in general! The font is also very fun :)


V&A Collector's Edition

Cover illustrators: Liz Catchpole and William Morris

I featured the Little Women edition of this set in my other post, and this one is just as cute! The pattern is very pretty, and I love the way the artist makes it into Anne's dress. Personally I think the blue could've been green because that's the color I associate with the book, but overall I think this one is very nice. 


The Folio Society

2889115 

This simple cloth-bound cover showcases Anne in her element, admiring the cherry blossoms on what seems to be her first day in Avonlea. The flowers and branches look very pretty, and overall I think it's a very nice combination of old-fashioned yet modern.


French Edition

55259745. sx318 

This sunset scene has a feeling of wanderlust about it, as Anne gazes out into the distance. 

 

I hope you enjoyed some of these choices! Which one was your favorite?

And, as promised...

Anne of Green Gables Adaptations


Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel by Mariah Marsden, illustrated by Brenna Thummler

Basically a straight adaptation of the original novel, this graphic novel brings Avonlea to light with beautiful illustrations and gentle greens. 

 


Anne of West Philly by Ivy Noelle Weir, illustrated by Myisha Haynes

A modern graphic novel reimagining set in West Philly! In Anne of West Philly, Anne is a queer Brown girl who is fostered by Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. Anne joins a robotics competition with her rival, Gilbert Blythe; hangs out with her best friend Diana; and above all, hopes she can stay at Green Gables for good.

 


Anne: An Adaptation of Anne of Green Gables (Sort Of) by Kathleen Gros

Another modern graphic novel adaptation. Marilla and Matthew meant to adopt a younger kid, but their surprise soon turns into love when Anne Shirley shows up instead. At the Cuthberts' apartment complex, the Avon-Lea, Anne meets new friends and rivals and develops a crush on her best friend Diana. 

 


Anne of Greenville by Mariko Tamaki

A YA adaptation (in prose) in which Anne is a queer, disco-loving Japanese American girl with two lesbian moms. When her family moves to the small town of Greenville, Anne faces bigotry as she struggles to adapt and make friends.


If you have a book you'd like me to spotlight next (preferably a classic or very famous book, since most newer books only have one or two editions), please let me know in the comments!

Images from: Amazon, Goodreads, & Book Outlet

Comments

  1. Wow these covers are so pretty! And I didn’t know that someone had made a graphic novel out of it :0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment