Best Little Women covers (& adaptations!)


It's time for more beautiful book covers! Most classics have a TON of editions, and Little Women is no exception. I chose it for this post because it especially has a lot of amazing cover editions, because it's ALMOST SPRING (!!!) and these designs have very spring-y vibes, and because it's one of the few classics that I've read and enjoyed-

These were a lot easier to find than the Harry Potter editions, probably because a lot of those were from other countries and in other languages, and because Little Women has undergone more cover designs than Harry Potter, even. Anyway, enjoy!


Puffin in Bloom

Illustrated by Anna Bond

little women louisa may alcott 

I really love the whole design on this cover: the  colors, the gold lettering, and how each of the four sisters are showcased. The only thing I think is weird is that it looks like their mouths are all open? But other than that I think this cover is stunning. 


Penguin Threads

Illustrated by Jillian Tamaki

little women penguin threads 

First off, I am just extremely impressed with this whole cover and all the work it must have taken to hand-embroider the whole thing. I also really like the old-fashioned feel and all of the details it incorporates.

 

Vintage Classics

little women louisa may alcott vintage classics edition

I really love this cover: all four sisters facing inward, united around a little illustration of their house, with their personal interests surrounding them. I like the art style and the way each sister is drawn.


ELT edition

little women silvana sardi

I think that the art style on this cover might weird some people out, but I think it looks really cool. It's kind of old-fashioned looking and homey, and I like the general simplicity and cozy feeling of this cover.


Seasons Edition-Winter

Amazon.com: Little Women (Seasons Edition -- Winter) eBook : Alcott, Louisa  May: Kindle Store

 I think that this edition is wood-cut or paper-cut, which creates a very cool effect. I like how everything is kind of thick and bold, and then the title is just a little golden text at the center. And they even cut out Louisa May Alcott's name in the cover. The floral details are also very nice.


Puffin Classics

Little Women

There's a cat on this cover! In general, I like the simplicity and handmade look of this cover. 


Alma Classics Limited Edition

Illustrated by Ella Bailey

Little Women

This cover only shows one girl--presumably Jo--but I think it works. The silhouette idea is always good with classics, and the lettering and background are really pretty. 


V&A Collector's Edition

Illustrated by Liz Catchpole and William Morris

Little Women

I think that the illustrator for this edition drew on top of a textile by William Morris, which creates a very pretty effect as if the whole cover is the girl's dress. A lot of these covers go with botanical or floral themes, which I really like.

 

Barnes & Noble Collectable Edition

I like the style of this cover: it's classic and old-fashioned, but with a little modern twist, maybe with some designs and fonts that wouldn't have been used a long time ago. While I like the simple, elegant designs in previous covers, old-timey book covers are always fun to look at.


Virago Modern Classics

Little Women

This edition chose an iconic scene for its cover edition, which is nice (and there's a cat!). I'm also obsessed with the tiny detail that the line on the T's turns into the stem of one of the flowers: small things like that always make book covers more interesting.


Illustrated 150th Anniversary Edition

Little Women (Illustrated)

Again, a very simple, old-fashioned, and elegant look, highlighting each sister's interests: a book for Jo, a paintbrush for Amy, a mirror for Meg, and a keyboard for Beth. 


First Edition

Little Women | Perspectives on History | AHA

I couldn't not include this one, because it's so iconic. The title font, which is used on the posters of the 2019 movie adaptation, is interesting because it looks more modern than something that would have been used in those days. 

 

I hope you enjoyed looking at these beautiful covers! I also recommend checking out this website if you love fanart, art in general, and/or the newest Little Women movie adaptation. As a bonus, here are some really cool adaptations of Little Women that you'll enjoy even if you haven't read the classic. 


More to the Story by Hena Khan

More to the Story: Khan, Hena: 9781481492096: Amazon.com: Books

A modern-day adaptation starring a Pakistani-American family living in Georgia. One of my favorite realistic fiction books!

 

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy by Rey Terciero and Bre Indigo

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Modern Graphic Retelling of Little Women (Classic  Graphic Remix, 1): Terciero, Rey, Indigo, Bre: 9780316522861: Amazon.com:  Books 

A modern graphic novel retelling in which the Marches are a mixed family living in Brooklyn, New York.

 

Jo: An Adaptation of Little Women (Sort Of) by Kathleen Gros

Amazon.com: Jo: An Adaptation of Little Women (Sort Of): 9780062875969:  Gros, Kathleen, Gros, Kathleen: Books 

Another modern graphic novel adaptation in which Jo is a budding journalist! 

 

And two that I have on my to-read list are Little Women: The March Sisters (a graphic novel adaptation) and Little Magic: Witches in Concord (a graphic novel adaptation in which the March sisters are witches!). 


I hope that you enjoyed this post, even if you haven't read Little Women! Anyone can enjoy beautiful book covers and middle grade realistic fiction :) What book(s) should I do next for my beautiful book covers series?


Sources:

http://www.staybookish.com/the-many-beautiful-editions-of-little-women/

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Women-Seasons-Winter-ebook/dp/B081MY24VZ

 https://thegardenofreadenblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/10/beautiful-editions-little-women/

Amazon

Comments

  1. Those are beautiful! I think I like the V & A one best, but it's hard to choose a favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment